It’s 2003, not 2005!

Tuesday, August 23, 2005
Yesterday, I received an e-mail saying:

“Planet Mars will be brightest in the night sky starting August. It will look as large as the full moon to the naked eye. This will culminate on August 27 when Mars comes to within 35 millions miles of Earth.

Be sure to watch the sky on August 27 12:30 a.m. It will look like the Earth has two moons. The next time Mars will be that close is in 2287.”

Since I like astronomy and such stuff, was going blindly to copy paste it here to share it with people interested.

But I thought before I do that I should make sure it’s right, and to know something more about it. So I did a
quick search on NASA.

To my surprise, it turned out that this incidence happened on year 2003 rather than 2005!!

I don’t know why this reminded me with that accident of the lady who died of an electrical shock at the North Coast in one of the parties there. That accident was a result of some careless workers who were lazy to cover some wires!! People complained about it, but they got no response, the only response they got was “nafad”!

Though there is no comparison between the two incidences , but the question that jumped to my mind, why don’t people go that extra mile and try to make things right?!

Sometimes it is very small things that we don’t pay attention to, but still, they might make a big difference.
 
posted by MoonLightShadow at 12:39 AM, |

5 Comments:

The Mars thing was awesome. I remember going to a friend of mine who had a telescope and we watched it. Amazing this astronomy stuff. I was super excited because I am governed by Mars.

BUt yeah, people are too lazy to take an extra step to check what they are saying. I guess it is the norm here in this country.

BTW, love the song. Enrico is indeed one of my favourites. GOod to hear this song on the morning.
yeah I pitted so much the lady who was electrically shocked , I pitty mostly her children and her family because it was all at a sudden.

What astonished me that I found people talking about some similar situations that happened before but didn't take media coverage.(Rabena ye3afeena and all who we know ISA)

I guess if there was a severe punishment people would of take care and make their precautions especially with something like electricity.
Then I envy you Haal for seeing the Mars thing :( Wish I knew 2 years ago.

Glad you liked the song, Enrico do have such an awesome voice. Wish you had a good morning.

Roora, you know it's not only punishment that we want, we need rewards as well for good people.
One more thing, this is not what happened in 2003. Mars was closest in 2003 yes but it never looked like the earth has two moons. If Mars was to ever come so close to Earth so that it appears as large as the moon, its gravitational field would have disastrous effects on earth.
When Mars was close in 2003, it only looked like a slightly reddish and very slightly bigger star to the naked eye. To see anything significant you still needed a telescope. Definitely not anything close to the moon.

For future reference you can use this website http://www.snopes.com
They have almost every urban legend in there, particularily those that circulate in emails. I advise you to check anything you get against it. You can just paste the title or the first line of the email in their search and you'd get a page with details about whether it's true or false.

The page for this email is here
http://www.snopes.com/science/mars.asp
Chris, thanks for the information.. that article says that it will happen again on October, it says it will appear 20% smaller.. but no problem, still it's a good news to hear :)