How far would you trust a dictionary?!!

Friday, April 22, 2005

How far would you trust a dictionary?!!

Do you take every single word written there for granted, or if your mind don’t take the definition written there you dare to argue about it?!

I don’t like to take words written somewhere for granted, except when my own mind approve it. Would that be considered as a close minded approach?! I don’t think so.

Would having a mind of my own, and not following what other people think make me a close minded?! I totally disagree. I’d be considered one if I refused to listen to any other voices except mine, but this isn’t the case. I do listen, and think about what I listen to, and I’m totally open for changing my opinions, and declaring that I might be mistaken in whatever I used to think of. Only on one condition, that other opinion must convince me.

It’s my mind that I trust, I don’t trust any other thing, but I do listen and expose myself to different ideas, only for the sake of widening my views, and not looking from a very narrow angle, or close myself within a circle of thoughts only coz I believe they are right, or coz I’ve searched and that’s what proved to me to be right.

Some things might be very obvious that no one would argue about. For example, if there is a cat, the probability of two people differing on what is that is very small. But still there are many other fuzzy issues which people would keep arguing and differing about forever.

For example the word love, yes, you would find a definition for it in dictionary, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that this would be the only definition for it, nor I should tie myself to it.

Some people claim to be using logic in proving their ideas, but the point is, logic differs from a person to the other, coz if it didn’t, all people would have reached same conclusions and there wouldn’t have been different opinions.

Trusting ourselves in what we think is good, but doubting it is good as well. A little bit of this and a little bit of that would make a balance.

Guess there must be a big difference between stubbornness, and being convinced with one’s opinion. Also, there is a big difference between being open minded and going with the flow and accepting others heads without thinking.

This just brings me back to the idea of reasoning and objectivity, and how that thing called objectivity might be very relative as well.

I don’t mind being closed minded, labels don’t make difference for me, but it’s the attitude people take and judgments they make which differs with me, I don’t like people to judge me wrong.

I wonder if your are reading this or not, but if you are, then this is a message to you, I guess you know yourself.
 
posted by MoonLightShadow at 3:12 PM, |

3 Comments:

  At 4/25/2005 11:00:00 PM Anonymous Anonymous said:
All this was because I told you religion is considered to be under culture, and you disagreed, and it appeared to me like you were being stubborn with this idea without any reasoning rationale.

When you become stubborn about something, and you don't give reasoning for it, what do you want me to call you? Open-minded? I just said I'll look-up in the dictionary to tell you.. you said "I don't care". You were open minded, but I couldn't see that.
LOL.. are we going to repeat that again?! Guess I told you that "I don't care" was a reply to what, didn't I?
  At 4/28/2005 10:43:00 AM Anonymous Anonymous said:
Fine, but did you give me any reasoning why you think that religion is not under culture? Still no.

Thus spake Arnold: Astalabista baby :)