Sliding Doors

Sunday, July 17, 2005




Chaos mathematicians have studied a phenomena called "the butterfly effect", in which a single butterfly flapping its wings can cause tremendous shifts of weather half a world away. The unpredictable effects of a relatively minor change are also explored in a movie called “Sliding Doors”, which shows how a seemingly insignificant event can have drastic effects.

People always wonder how their lives would have turned out if a few things had gone differently.


We tend to focus on the big events. What if I hadn't gotten married? What if I had taken this job or that one.

"Sliding Doors" explores how a seemingly insignificant event can change a life.

Helen is a public relations executive whose life is starting to fall apart on one fateful day. She just lost her job, and, on her way back home, she narrowly misses catching her train in the London underground...or does she.


But wait! The film backs up about 30 seconds, starts over and this time Helen slips aboard the train just as the doors slide shut.


At this point, the movie splits in two, alternating back and forth between two different worlds: one in which Helen caught the train, and the other in which she narrowly missed it. It's one minor difference, but the effects spiral away in completely different directions.

In the world where she catches the train, she meets a talkative Scotsman, James. She arrives home in time to catch her boyfriend, Gerry, in the middle of an affair with another woman Lydia. Yet, as traumatic as this seems at first, it makes her a stronger woman, as she pursues a new career, and a new life with a new love, James.

Bad luck continues for the Helen that missed the train. She decides to catch a cab instead and is immediately mugged. She arrives shortly after Lydia leaves and doesn't realize Gerry is having an affair.

So one Helen storms out of the flat and begins a romance with the charming James, while the other Helen continues to be two-timed by Gerry. The Helen who caught the train also bleaches her hair so the audience can tell them apart.

From time to time, Helen's parallel lives threaten to intersect. Blonde Helen enters a restaurant shortly after brunette Helen exits. During a bar scene James alternates between flirting with Helen and ignoring her, depending on which version we're seeing at the moment.

Each time I feel I’m in crossroads, and I’m about to make a lifetime decisions. I remember that movie. It makes me realize that it’s not these decisions that I think are major are the decisions which is gonna shape my life. Rather, it’s these minor events and decisions that might turn our lives upside down.

I learnt that I shouldn’t worry that much when it’s time for decisions. I shouldn’t be giving it all that second and third thought. “Think it for once and shoot” that’s what I always tell myself.

But did I learn the lesson?! Seems I didn’t. Instead of worrying about major decisions, I started thinking of every single thing I do, or anything I say. I realized that every single moment that we live is a major decisive moment in our lives.
 
posted by MoonLightShadow at 6:36 PM, |

5 Comments:

Sliding doors are from the best films I've ever watched.
One of my favourites.
I adore it aslan, a great film indeed.
maybe you would llike to see the movie "the butterfly effect". it deals with this really well.

when i read your post, i tried to think what could have changed. i think that all is meant to be. we wouldn't know except if we know for a fact that a certain incident is what shaped a big part of my life. sometimes the what ifs are not too good to dwell on, they make you wonder too much about the present and sometimes be ungreatful. remember "in 3alemtom el ghaib, la akhtartom el wake3"
we don't know what would happen if we miss the train or not. it could be for the better or the worse. so we just try our best and ask God for his guidance, as He knows what we don't
I wanted to mention the butterfly effect too..it's really deep..i recommend it to u.
Saw the butterfly effect, loved it! I will try to see Sliding Doors as well!
Eman, I adore that movie as well. I watched it some years ago. But still up till this moment, I remember it very often.

Doshar, I heard about the 'Butterfly effect'. Haven't seen it yet, but I'm planning to. I agree with, the what ifs are not always good, it sometimes turns me crazy, and I can't help it. I just find myself giving it all this thinking.

Sometimes I wish I could see both scenarios for a decision I take.. But it never goes that way.